Jan 15, 2011

I'm getting started on the curriculum.

Which is ridiculous.

Let me give you an example:

Unit 14: The Cholera Outbreak (how quaint, this is relevant-learning English)

Activity 14.1: Reading a Story.
Steps:
1. Prepare yourself to read a story.
2. Write the following words on the chalkboard: chief, trousers, widespread panic, bowels, neighborhood.
3. Erase the words from the chalkboard.
4. Read the story out loud to the learners (also known as students)

Activities 14.2, 14.3, and 14.4 are Listening to a Radio Broadcast (I teach in a shed so it alarms me that the government thinks I have a radio), Identifying Plants (obviously sequential) and Matching Phrasal Verbs, respectively.

I will have to admit that when I first thought about teaching I had big ideas about teaching IDEAS (read: IDEALS read: MY IDEALS) and instead I'm teaching Phrasal Verbs and How the Body Changes. Although perhaps in some ways its a blessing considering that the most frustrating thing about my students here is their inability to think independently. A "What do you think..." question gets blank stairs and downcast eyes. My favorite lesson so far:

Activity 13.2: Identifying Fact and Opinion
The examples my students gave me:
Nanthomba School has 18 teachers. Fact.
Nanthomba School has 1 teacher. Opinion.

No, actually, that would be a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment